Help your children get along!
I was trying to be good but I got distracted. The excuses for kids to not get along are endless! However you are mom and you’ve got this handled. Here are a few tricks of the trade that so many of us lovingly call motherhood.
Teaching your children to communicate and set personal boundaries. AKA The Game Plan.
- Teach your kids to think before they say and do. “Ask yourself am I being kind?” and “Would I like to be treated this way?” If the answer is no or I don’t know then don’t do it.
- Teach your kids to listen to one another. “If you’re upset that jack took your toy let him know nicely”. Say something like “Jack please don’t take my toy I was playing with that.” Make it a rule that they respect one another’s feelings and that they fulfill requests when they are fair.
- Time apart isn’t always the answer but rather more time together doing things they both enjoy with a common goal like crafts.
- Make it a goal that every day at dinner your children share with everyone at least one nice thing they did for one another that day. If they can share at least three things than they get a treat after dinner.
- Also reward boards are fun.
Tip: Using your child’s favorite stickers seems to encourage them to work harder.
When your children are fighting try the following.
- If your children are fighting set them on the porch were there aren’t any distractions with a timer and make them hold hands.
- Find an extra-large tee shirt and make them both wear it.
- Have your kids sit back to back on the floor until they apologize and tell one another how they were hurt and how they would like that situation to be handled in the future.
- If they refuse to stop fighting than make them do chores together. One of my favorite chores is to give each of them a toothbrush and tell them to scrub the grout between the tiles until its white. Once some time has passed make it fun by turning it into a friendly competition who can clean the most in a certain amount of time.
Short, sweet, and to the point. Good luck mom!